Every since I made that first Kopywriting Kourse….I’ve wanted to make a course with the acronym KKK.
I have no idea why, other than I thought it would be funny (and I’m not white so I might get away with it) ;-)
I realllly wanted to do some sort of membership thing which would allow me to call it the Kopywriting Kourse Klub. And it would have a signup pages that says JOIN THE KKK!!!
It was actually a subtle nod to this Simpsons sketch:
HA! That makes me crack up every time!
Anyhow, here’s the story of how I ended up doing a product called the KKKs. Yes…. ‘KKK’ with a lower-case ‘s’ at the end (I had a feeling sending 700,000 people an email saying “10 REASONS YOU SHOULD JOIN THE KKK !!” wouldn’t fly so well.
First I decided to do a “Kopywriting Kourse Part 2″ ….which would go more in depth about Kopywriting. The original course does extraordinarily well to this day because within two hours it changes the way people write forever.
But while trying to put together a “Part 2″ ……it didn’t feel right. Most of the material was just re-hashed from the first one.
So then I got the idea to drill down to about 15 more specific subjects…such as:
- Kopywriting for eCommerce sites.
- Kopywriting for landing pages.
- Kopywriting for brick n mortar businesses.
- Kopywriting for real estate agents.
- Kopywriting for blogs.
- Kopywriting for iPhone apps.
- Kopywriting for daily deal sites.
- ….this list went on and on……
Well a lot of these were good (I really wanted to do a copywriting for iPhone apps or something hot like that)…..but they were TOO SPECIFIC.
In a perfect world I’d make every single one of those sub-categories of products, but that’s A LOT of work.
The next thing I did was put out a page for FREE COPYWRITING (you can no longer enter so don’t try) ….in order to get some real case studies.
Within a week we got 100+ qualified people who entered (some crap ones snuck in there too).
Quickly we realized that people had ALL KINDS OF BUSINESSES WHICH NEEDED HELP.
!! :: LIGHT BULB DINNGG :: !!
The “Kopywriting Kourse Kase Studies” was born.
So the whole premise was to watch as we take businesses and make them convert higher (aka get more sales$s) with only minutes of work (well….sometimes with about 1 hour of work).
- Some of the businesses needed better copy to explain their product. We would re-write pages.
- Some of the businesses were nearly flawless, and could only be improved with a video. We would make them a quick-n-dirty video.
- Some of the businesses were totally shit to begin with, and needed to be re-thought or abandoned (no amount of great copywriting can help a shitty business for the longrun).
- Some of the businesses needed to stop getting people to their website, and getting people from places like Craigslist with easy ads. We made those ads (which ALWAYS work btw).
I also noticed the side-effect of this course was people would learn how to consult for other businesses very quickly!
After watching several kase studies you quickly notice patterns.
Every kase study (except one) in the kourse so far has increased conversion rates even with the very half-assed-and-quick improvements we made.
For the one that DIDN’T improve conversion rates (it was an email promotion I thought would TOTALLY KILL IT ….but ended up doing 25% worse), we explain why that happened.
It was one of those things I could’ve easily just “conveniently not included” but I wanted people to see a failure…because sometimes tests fail in the real world (WHO WOULD’VE THUNK IT)!
I almost wanted to change the name from “Kopywriting Kourse Kase Studies” to ” Learn how to con$ult for businesses by improving small things” ….but didn’t want to people to think ANYONE could do it with such ease.
My intention was also to FIRST have everyone watch the original KopywritingKourse before watching this.
Anyhow, that’s how products we make come along.
I’ll shortly be putting out some products not STARING me but PRODUCED by me….we’ll see how it goes :-)