During the upcoming Homeless Experiment there’s a couple of things I want to try out. Now since I don’t have a defined plan of how I’m going to acquire food, shelter, water and other basic necessities of life…there will obviously be a massive amount of variables in how much free time I get to do some of these mini-experiences.
Here are some things I’d like to try:
- How much money can I make in an hour holding a sign asking for money?
- How much money can I make holding a FUNNY sign?
- How much money can I make holding a SERIOUS sign?
- How easy is it to get food on the street corner by asking for it…perhaps holding a sign that says, “Don’t want money, food would be great.” I personally think this would work pretty well as a way of procuring food or leftovers. Since I’m walking out of my house with no food or money, this will probably be one of the FIRST things I need to do.
- Where exactly will I sleep? Parks, benches, under bridges, homeless shelters, under a tree, in the woods?
- What if it rains?
- Access to restrooms. I can always pee in the bushes, but what about….?
- Can I just show up at a homeless shelter and get a place to sleep? I already partially know the answer to this: At most homeless shelters you have to “reserve” a bed, but they’ll often let you sleep inside on the ground if it’s not too crowded.
- Can I take a shower somewhere and get a clean change of clothes?
- Where can I get a decent meal? I’m purposely not researching where the soup kitchens are located in order to make this experience more authentic.
- What are most homeless people like? I kind of already know the answer….most are just like you and I. The VAST majority of homeless are not the crazy looking bums on the side of the road. I’ve had some experience talking to a wide variety of homeless people, but not AS a homeless person. I’m wondering if their perception or attitudes towards me will change much.
- Can I get a temporary job at one of the day labor camps in downtown? How much money can I make like this?
There’s a lot of experiments I want to try, but time is a factor. I still think doing THIS would work well: